May 26, 2008

Protestant / Catholic

If you ever want to get a real picture of Catholic charity read the book 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt. Scary. I think I'd rather have anything but this type of Catholic Charity.

Having been brought up in a Baptist / Salvation Army home I have never come to grips with the Catholic view of things, but this book opened up my eyes to a number of serious issues, the first of which is guilt. It's obvious from reading the book that the Catholic Church relies on this big stick to fund their operations. Why else would the poorest of the poor pay their last pennies in at the church - in order to ensure they get prayed into heaven should they happen to die, perhaps while not in a 'state of grace', whatever that means? Jesus is not about guilt - He's about freedom from sin.

As a born-again believer [per the biblical definition] this kind of thinking is both confusing and alarming. Confusing because it is clearly contrary to Bible teaching [why then does part of the 'Church' believe and teach it??], and alarming because I can see how it would drive Catholics to distraction in their quest to remain right with God. My salvation is sure, Jesus died once for all - see Heb 10:10  ''By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.'' (KJV) which so clearly states that it happened once, and is forever efficacious. This goes against the Catholic grain totally. I accept that Jesus dies, but also that He rose again and His death and suffering are over. And His work completed / finished. He conquered hell, satan and all his demons at the cross, taking my sin on himself so even my present and future sins are crucified with Him and atoned for by Him. One time! I don't have to keep going back - His atonement works constantly and therefore I am constantly in a state of grace. I could die while committing some sin or other and will go to heaven immediately - it's not the ideal / recommended way to go, but it is Biblical truth - God knows my heart. I don't have to keep reminding Him, and showing Him how good a Christian I am / hope to be / whatever it is they try to continually do.

Another thing: By who's authority does a man who sits in a cassock / robe thingy behind a screen in a little wooden box have the right to absolve me of my sins?? Who does he think he is?? God alone forgives, based on the penitent's heart and only once he /she has accepted Jesus into their heart, made Him Lord of their Life, repenting of their sin! If you have not done this you can confess all you want - it will do you no good. Ever. This is the Bible teaching. I can speak to Jesus / God / The Holy Spirit anytime, anywhere. He is always listening. Like a good friend. And, like the best of friends, will let me know when I am taking a wrong turn. It's my prerogative to listen or not. He will always be there for me, regardless.

Confirmation is just another public show which serves no good purpose I can discover. It may be genuine for some, but I grew up with guys who went through this process and they were definitely not born-again. Sad. Their parents, priest, peers may have been impressed, but these people are not the ones that decide whether you burn in hell or spend eternity in God's presence. Their approval means nothing at all in the final analysis. Nothing.


Jesus is the only way to God [Joh 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.] The Church will not get you into heaven, no-one in your Church will get you into heaven. God weighs your heart - if this is found wanting you will burn in hell. End of story.

There are many other areas of concern, places where the unsuspecting will catch a foot, stumble, and fall - who will help these unfortunates in their time of dire need? Place your trust ONLY in Jesus.


Think on this....

2Pe 2:1  But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2Pe 2:2  And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
2Pe 2:3  And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
2Pe 2:4  For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
[KJV] - italics mine.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment